Wednesday 25 January 2012

The comfort of strangers - journey to the top of the IVF waiting list

Since my last progress report, my awful auntie flo arrived, but just as hope was fading once again, the next day a letter arrived from the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary saying we were just about at the top of the IVF list! Treatment is due to begin in July/August! I know there are no guarantees, but it definitely feels I'm yet another step closer to being a mum.

We had been told that there was a two year waiting list, so you can imagine our very pleasant surprise! And of course I was straight on Twitter announcing the news, as I knew my Tweeps would understand better then anyone else just what this means. I've experienced some great encouragement and generosity from my IFTweeps (particularly from the lovely @Mrs__K_ ). I will never forget the support that I have received from relative strangers that I've met through social networking...though these strangers understand me better than many lifelong friends - one major bonus to have come from our infertility journey! Thank you to all of you.

Talking of strangers, I'm also incredibly excited about meeting Dr Thong (yes, really!) at the hospital. They will be our Gynecologist for this next stage of our journey. July/August can't come soon enough, but who knows we may yet be lucky before then...

So in the meantime, I'm still using Duo Fertility. It is very easy to use and takes away any of the stress of needing to remember to take my temperature at the same time every day. The little monitor that records your temperature sits under my arm all day every day recording temperatures. I receive regular supporting emails and a very quick response when I emailed with a query to check I was recording things correctly. It all seems to be working. My temperature was a bit slow to rise at ovulation, but then I was full of the cold and breathing through my nose, which I gather can impact on temperatures. It dropped again when AF arrived. I'm now just about to enter my first fresh new cycle using Duo Fertility...and the monitor is already showing when my next fertile period is due. Very clever! (nb - it looks like it's increased again today, but forgot to reattach monitor after exercise last night).

I only had one scare, when I thought I'd lost the little monitor you're meant to stick under your armpit. I hardly feel it when it was on, so didn't notice when it moved. I retraced my steps through parks, public transport and the hotel we were staying in...couldn't find it anywhere! I was feeling really rather stupid, frustrated and, if truth be told, a little annoyed that something so expensive would be so easy to lose. I was thinking about what to do next and hoping they would provide a replacement, when I suddenly noticed it had somehow found it's way round to my breast.  Wishing it had a wee pin and piece of string to attach to my bra, just to be sure it stays. But, I am keeping an eye on it now and being extra firm when I stick it on, so hopefully this wouldn't happen again. I did laugh at my stupidity.

So things are still progressing...Here's to a fresh new cycle and the hope of a bfp (for me and my other IF Tweeps) in 2012!




2 comments:

  1. Congrats from Finland on the top spot. We have been TTC for 2 years and are waiting our first IVF in a public health care clinic, we expect to start in April/May. The queue is supposed to be a maximum of six months (due to the Finnish law on a quaranteed time of treatment in public healthcare) from the date when your fererral is transmitted to the hospital. We started on the queue on October and on April - after my periods start - we're supposed to call in and see is it our turn yet.

    I've been following your journey for a while now and I truely hope your turn would come shortly. Two years waiting period seems unreasonable in this situation.

    The best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe. Thank you Toiveikas. It's comforting to know we're not alone and there's so many warm hearted people out there in the same position. We'll have to keep in touch and let each other know how we get on with our IVF journeys in two different countries. Best of luck to you too. x

    ReplyDelete