Sunday 8 July 2012

First Buserelin injection - what was I worried about!

So that's me just done my first Buserelin injection. Although the nurse had been great about showing me what to do and saying "you can't really go wrong." I still was worried about inserting that little needle into my skin for the first time... If you've not done it before, it is true what they say - you don't need to worry.

So I will talk you through the process I went through....


  • 8am Got up. Looked out all the kit, plus cotton wool balls and an ice pack.
  • 8am to about 8.15am. Double, triple and quadruple checked I had everything and had read the handy crib sheet provided to me by NHS Lothian.
  • 8.15am to 8.30am. Started questioning if I could remember everything the nurse told me to do at the last appointment, then decided to have a look on YouTube to find a video of someone who could provide insight for the point of view of being the patient. Found this great video from @chelenic 

Then I just got on with it:
  • Used icepack to numb tummy (in hindsight, don't think this was really required)
  • Took the Buserelin, removed the cap, swabbed top with antiseptic wipe
  • Also swabbed area for injection on tummy with antiseptic wipe
  • Opened packs with cute little syringe and, not so cute larger needle (with yellow cap). 
  • Also half-opened slightly less scary looking small needle (with green cap)
  • Slotted large needle on top of syringe (without touching needle, so keeping it half in the pack)
  • Turned Buserelin bottle upside down.
  • Placed large needle in and slowly pulled down approx 1ml/1.5ml of Buserelin (top tip from nurse to take in more than full dose initially).
  • With the needle still in the upturned bottle - Spotted one wee air bubble, so tapped...tapped again...and again...and again...and again...mildly panicked that I couldn't get air bubble out...then stopped being a woose and tapped a little harder a few more times and it eventually moved.
  • Then (still with upturned bottle) put excess liquid back into Buserelin vile (only needed 0.5ml).
  • Removed needle from bottle, which was still upturned (it has a rubber seal, which is very tight so you don't need to worry about liquid coming out).
  • Removed yellow needle and replaced with small green capped needle (again being careful not to touch the needle)
  • Rubbed tummy again with antiseptic wipe (am I sounding a little OCD?)
  • Pinched skin...paused...pinched skin again...paused...questioned "am I doing it right?" said back to myself "Just get on with it!" (going ever so slightly mad).
  • Placed needle to skin and gently pushed...It was in before I knew it or could really feel it.
  • Started to slowly inject Buserelin...nipped only very slightly (less than a slight pinch of the skin), however the nipping eased if I slowed a little
  • Gently removed the needle and that was it!
  • Lastly followed @chelenic's fab tip of pressing down on the injection site afterwards to stop any last irritations.
And now my journey has moved onto the next stage...Will aim to keep more of a log here as and if things develop (I gather I could be experiencing a mini menopause over the next couple of weeks). 

Due to have the Buserelin injections up to 26 July, when I will go in for them to check if I'm ready to start the process of kick starting follicle production.

Here's to being another step closer! (though obviously toasting with a soft drink, not least because it is morning, but of course to also maximise my chances of the ICSI treatment working!)

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on doing your first needle yourself! You're much braver than me (I just couldn't even look at the needle without getting light-headed). And yes, a big pat on the back fro getting one step closer to achieving your dream :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Surrounded by an amazing bunch of cheerleaders across the Blogosphere!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete